Fried green tomatoes vegan-style (and tofu!)
Got a craving to try this after getting some beautiful little green tomatoes at the farmers market that refused to get soft. We decided they were begging to be fried!
I decided to try and come up with a tasty egg-free version of this southern favorite, and use less oil than the typical deep fried recipes. The maple syrup adds a delicious subtle sweetness is a great contrast to the spice of the cayenne pepper and together they really bring out the flavor of the tomatoes!
- green tomatoes, sliced
- super firm tofu, thinly sliced
- maple syrup (1 tablespoon per tomato)
- bread crumbs (start with a few tablespoons- add more/less depending on amount of tomatoes/tofu)
- whole wheat flour or flour of choice (a little less than amount of bread crumbs)
- salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pan when hot, may need to add additional oil while cooking depending on how much you are making)
- garlic, finely diced
- fresh sage, cut into small pieces
Mix together bread crumbs, flour, salt, peppers in bowl or on plate. Coat tofu/tomatoes in syrup in separate bowl, then roll/dredge in flour/crumb mixture until evenly coated. Heat oil in pan add pinch of garlic to sizzle, then sage just before adding tomoatoes/tofu. Fry each side for a few minutes, until golden brown.
Allow to cool briefly, then savor!