Savory Red Lentil Cheese Fondue & Steamed Veggies
Not for the vegans out there, unless you know a great vegan cheese for melting! If so, please share!
- almond milk (1-2 cups) ~depending on desired consistency
- gruyere and other assorted cheeses grated (to taste)
- red lentils (1/3-1/2 cup) ~more lentils = thicker fondue
- olive oil (splash)
- dry white wine (splash)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- red pepper flakes (pinch)
- garlic (3-4 cloves chopped finely)
- nutritional yeast (1/4 cup) ~ to taste
- butter (1-2 tbsp) ~I have yet to experiment with butter alternatives (perhaps coconut oil?)
- dippable veggies galore ~ex. broccoli, zuchini, summer squash, peppers, carrots, whatever is in season!
Cook lentils separately in small pot (1:2 lentil:water ratio)
On medium to medium high heat melt butter, add garlic then almond milk, oil, white wine, and spices, add lentils when cooked. simmer on low heat.
With low heat or heat turned off on fondue, slowly add grated cheeses stirring in as you go.
Pour into fondue set add the steamed veggies and enjoy!
* Pic to come!